Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wednesday Recap

We finished the 'I quit' series this week, with our last discussion being about living in fear. There were about 12 people there, and everyone had great things to say. God is truly moving in this group of people! It's so evident every time we meet, and to hear how he is working in people's lives is awesome.

Discussion started off with the question of, 'What was your greatest fear as a kid?' 'How did you overcome those fears?' This brought out some pretty typical answers, such as the dark. But as we dove deeper into the subject, we started to uncover many fears of the 'what ifs'. What if God allows this to happen... What if God doesn't come through... What if I don't see the results of my sacrifices...

Coming to a place where fear of the 'what ifs' doesn't hold us back can be tough. We read from 2 Timothy 1:7

"for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

One of the best ways to overcome fear is to seek God until He takes those fears away. To know that He gives us a spirit of power and love and self-control, and not of fear, is to know that you have the ability to live a life that is free of what ifs. Here we discovered that this is going to require a lot of trust, and that we must draw our strength from the Lord, seeking Him even more. Psalm 56:2-4

"My adversaries pursue me all day long; in their pride many are attacking me. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? "

How powerful those words are! "What can mere mortals do to me?" Praise God for delivering us from our fears! Seek Him this week, as we keep this message in mind.

No comments: