Friday, May 20, 2011

Wednesday Recap

Wednesday night led to some great discussion and community. We have started a new series called 'I Quit' which is definitely challenging the group in so many ways.

Discussion this week was centered around comparing ourselves to others. How hard is it to accept our unique position in God's plan and find contentment with where he has put us right now? This is a constant struggle for us, as we are constantly looking around at others and seeing their gifts as better than ours. 'If I could only reference scripture like he could,' or 'if I could just __'. You fill in the blank. We could go on and on about the things we wish we had instead of praising God for what we have and the position that we are in.

One way to stop comparing ourselves to others is to know who we are. 1 Corinthians 12 says it so well. We are one body in Christ with many members, with a variety of spiritual gifts. We all have something unique and different to offer and are all called to a unique purpose.

16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

Another way to stop comparing ourselves to others is to know what you have. This generated some great discussion when we began to relay all the blessings from God that we are most thankful for. How much has God blessed me, and how much praise do I owe him? Endless! I think we could've talked all night about just that one thing. It's so easy to ignore God's blessings in our own lives and resent God's goodness in the lives of others. Philippians 4 says

10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

We left with the challenge of confessing what our most common comparisons are, and to give those up. For God to help us to stop comparing, to thank him for all he has done in our lives, and to just help remove the pride. Praise him for making us unique! And praise him for the great group we had on Wednesday

In Christ

Sam

No comments: