Wednesday, September 15, 2010

SHIFT Series reCAP: Back to the Basics (Love One Another)

For the past several months the LORD has placed on my heart "love." What is this word and what should it mean to me? I started digging into the Word looking and longing for love. I came across 1 John 4:20 and it says, "If someone says, "I love GOD," but hates a Christian brother or sister, that person is a liar; for if we don't love people we can see, how can we love GOD, whom we cannot see?" When reading this I, myself, was convicted and challenged to love on those who I do not love. But another thought came to mind, what does it look like to love? I sat there and prayed and thought about the Bible and GOD and HIS love for us. Thinking, I realized love started at creation. Without the love of GOD and HIM wanting to pour HIS love into us there would have been no life. We see the love of GOD in the story of Abraham and the promise HE gave and fulfilled with HIS son JESUS. We see the ultimate love with the sacrifice of HIS only begotten son so that we sinners could once again have life. Love is all throughout the Bible from the beginning of time and through all eternity. I had one more question, what does love look like in my own life? I was lead to 1st Corinthians 13:4-7 and it says, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." I changed out the word love and substituted my name into it. WOW was I blown away to see I was far from loving. I came to one conclusion . . . love is not about me! DUH? But seriously love, real love, is truly sacrificing you own personal desires, wants, and needs to insure your brothers and sisters are growing and getting the love they need! We all need to HUMBLE ourselves to each other and ask for forgiveness if we have done wrong so we can have a fresh start at loving one another in Christ! Christ died in humiliation for us so we can humiliate ourselves to each other for love. All I have to say now is I have a lot of growing to do. Blessings!

IN HIM,
STEVEN

No comments: